Sunday, December 7, 2008

Chemo Buddy


Nathan's treatment day went well. I was especially thankful that the snow that was forecast for Wednesday didn't come in until after we got home.

On Wednesday we met a boy named Justin and his mom. He is also five and his birthday is one day before Nathan's, and he has all sisters and a brain tumor. What they don't have in common is that Justin's tumor is cancerous and he has lost vision in one eye because of it. And they have to go to the oncology clinic every day instead of once a week. Justin's mom is a cheerful and thankful person. In fact, most of the moms I have met there are markedly cheerful and thankful. What I admired most about her is that she doesn't handicap her son by her attitudes. When talking about his loss of vision she said, "but there's still lots of things he can do and will do." Please pray for little Justin and for his healing if you think about it.

Nathan had gotten an invitation by the Make-A-Wish Foundation to a Christmas shopping spree they set up at Children's Hospital on Friday, where he could "buy" gifts for his family. But we ended up having car trouble and no babysitter for the girls, so we couldn't go. That night on the news they showed that event, and patients in wheelchairs shopping, and the camera focussed on a gift bag with the name NATHAN on it. As I wondered why the Lord didn't allow Nathan to go, I realized that it would be better for him to have a special shopping time with Aaron or me in stores like everybody else, since he is healthy is every way except this thing growing in the wrong spot. It is such a worthy and good event that they hosted for these children, but I'm glad that Nathan can go out and spend a few dollars at Target or somewhere.