Nathan said, "Why do you say 'uh-huh' when you didn't even listen to what I asked you?"
Ouch. Kids are sharp. They KNOW when we aren't listening to them. I want to have that same attentiveness, the same savoring of every precious minute that I had in the hospital back in September. I don't want everyday busyness and distractions to crowd that out.
Moms - let's look into our children's faces and LISTEN. Maybe no one else needs a reminder, but I do.
Today as Nathan and I drove to and from speech therapy we got to talk... about adoption, drug addicts, buffalos, and Jesus dying on the cross to take our punishment. This is an answer to prayer, that Nathan has more spiritual awareness now than before his tumor diagnosis. Before, he might have been some kid from Afghanistan who never heard the Bible.
But we've got a long way to go. Last month Aaron asked Nathan a "teaching" question: "If I went to the grocery store but didn't have enough money to pay for this chicken, what would be wrong if I just put it in my pocket and walked out of the store?" Nathan's answer: "Because you would get your pocket dirty."
Abby's Best Friend Izzy
14 years ago
5 comments:
Oh my goodness! This post made me tear up, realizing how often I do that to Ian; but then I laughed at the dirty pockets! Thanks for sharing!
Ouch! Oh I have heard this one too! Sure makes me turn a wise ear! Thanks for your comments on my blog, I love that you can come and visit. Thinking of you, thanks for the update on Nathan, I hope the full dose will not hurt his jaw anylonger.
Precious Nathan.
You may have heard this from me, I think, Darlene -- one time many years ago I "tuned back in" to my children's conversation in the back seat of our car in time to hear this from Harrison: "No, Heather, she didn't say 'yes' -- she just said 'uh-huh', and when she says 'uh-huh' she's not even LISTENING!"
Laughed out loud about the dirty pocket.
"cited" is a REAL WORD!!! No need to make up a definition for this one.
Llllllllll, SO funny. Poorest little ignored children. I hope mine never get used to it and I don't notice. Thanks for reminding me to focus!
Wow....sure makes us want to stop and listen more. you are so right that we get so caught up in the moments of business...thanks for the reminder. What a blessing that Nathan is doing good....what a trooper he is. We will continue to pray for him and pray for his jaw pain. We think about you guys all the time. That was so sweet that Dania was able to spend a day with him...how special.
Post a Comment