Thursday, February 12, 2009

MRI Results

The news is not much news. We drove to Children's Hospital listening to ragtime piano music, which Nathan says is "the best music I've ever heard in my life!" This helps lighten the mood when facing the great unknown. Nathan's tumor on film looked not much different from six weeks ago. The doctor said that there may be cells which have necrosed (died) but haven't been absorbed by the body yet, and that sometimes it takes months to see change with an MRI. We did see that the fluid is decreasing in the area where the cyst used to be.

We did get some clarity from the doctor regarding the chemo drugs. He thinks there's a fair chance Nathan could do fine for the remainder of the year with benedryl and cortizone to keep down his allergic reaction. But if he can't tolerate this then the drugs they would change to have a shown a small risk of causing leukemia. That's not a risk we want to take, so we are asking our heavenly Father that he might be able to remain on the chemo drugs he is on now.

These last few weeks his mood is improving, he is feeling just fine, and he is showing interest and willingness to learn how to read and write. I'm soaking this up because I don't know how he'll be once he starts the next four-week round of chemo treatments next week.

Time to go make popcorn for some hungry kiddos........

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

We will continue to pray for him :) Thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there gal, you're doing good. Any idea how MUCH we love you? Always here for you honey.
Mommak

Missy said...

I love thinking of him enjoying ragtime music. It IS joyful and every kid would like it! I'm going to introduce mine to it and we're going to do silly dances.
There are so many unseen twists and turns on this journey. I am so glad the Lord is the one directing your steps, aren't you?
"The mind of man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps."
Somehow this journey has something in comman with the one Elisabteth Elliot describes today in her devotional, click on the praying girl on my sidebar. I think you can relate to the "lonely" burden in a way.

Darlene said...

Natalie has been playing rags lately for piano lessons so that is what got us into ragtime. It's great for cleaning house, too.Thanks for the E.E. reference. It's been years since I've read anything by her.

Betsy said...

I wish Nathan could come hear Mr. Derr play the Maple Leaf Rag! He is G-U-D GOOD!!!

Right now he and Matt and Andrew are playing There Is Joy In The Lord on bass, drums and electric guitar, respectively. This joint is jumpin'!!

Missy got me reading Elisabeth Elliot's daily devotionals. It is a good source of encouragement and sometimes conviction.

It is so much fun to hear from you two girls!!! Two of my ALL-TIME favorite people.

Wish we were all closer.

Word of the day: Propinquity
Nearness in place; proximity

Darlene, did I buy you an old copy of an Anne of Green Gables book a hundred years ago? If I remember correctly, I did, but I wasn't really familiar with it yet. I've long since seen all the movies a dozen times, read all eight volumes and am quite the Anne Girl fan now!

I pray for you guys whenever God brings you to my remembrance, which is often.

May God's grace continue to carry you through each new day.

Love you!
~Betsy

The Beidle Family said...

What a sweet little boy. You guys are enduring this trial amazingly. Thank you for taking the time to post updates. What a precious little guy. We will continue to pray for him and for you guys too. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. Love to you all!!

Darlene said...

Your comments and care mean so much to us!

Tamara said...

Hey girl, just want you to know I am thinking of you and that sweet boy! Gods Mercy and Grace are perfect for us and each day we get that perfect dose that we need! Keep up the faith, you inspire me! Love you tonz! Tam