Friday, April 17, 2009

Birthday Cake Ideas

Nathan's 6th birthday is coming up April 29th! I have always made the kids' birthday cakes because store bought cakes have ingredients that some of them are allergic to. Thinking maybe things had changed, I checked out the ingredients on Costco's cakes today. Hmmmmm....45 ingredients, many sound like car wax chemicals. What's propylene glycol and mono and diglycerides? I guess I'll be making the cake.

Last year I made him a race track cake using "tire tread" licorice for the track, but I wanted to do something different this year. He said he'd like a police car cake. Does anyone have any idea how I could make a cake in the shape of a police car? Or any other fun cake ideas or ways to decorate cupcakes? I'm thinking I may use the tire tread licorice idea again to make roads on top of the cake and use matchbox police cars. Or maybe gummi worms on cupcakes - it is a boy's birthday after all.

All you creative people out there, I know you've got some ideas. Just not big layer or high-maintenance cakes, please. The last 3-layer cake I attempted for Aaron looked like a landslide and I had to rescue the cake by making it a 2-layer cake, and turned the top layer into a crumbled trifle topped with whipped cream, which everyone liked better than the birthday cake.

This week's chemo treatment was incident-free, and now he'll have a break for the next two Wednesdays. His actual birthday falls on a Wednesday, and I'm so thankful the Lord gave him the day off of going for a treatment.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I think I would make the cake simple, with just a road, and put a Playmobil police motorcyle, or police car on top. Playmobil has some great stuff in the police line.
Even a prisoner van but I think that one's expensive. He would love playing with any of those. I wonder if there's a way to get a real police hat from Officer Crump?

Anonymous said...

Thanking the Lord with you for the blessing for you all of looking forward to a birthday with no treatments!

"The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms."
Deut. 33:27

With love in Christ, Cindi