Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Hearing and Seeing

Nathan's hearing exam went well. His hearing is in the normal range. Often chemo permanently destroys hearing in certain frequencies, but he can hear just fine. Well enough, said the audiologist, to hear mom when she tells you to clean up your room.

Yesterday afternoon he had an eye exam. His central vision is great, but, as I suspected, he has had damage to the optic nerve, and doesn't have peripheral vision to the right, which the doctor said is permanent. This was caused by pressure from the tumor or cysts. He didn't see any cranial pressure through Nathan's eyes, which was good news.

So, the bad news is far outweighed by the good news that he can hear well and see well for the most part, and that right now there isn't fluid build-up in his brain.

"Let me HEAR Thy lovingkindness in the morning; For I trust in Thee." (Psalm 143:8)
"O taste and SEE that the Lord is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!" (Psalm 34:8)

10 comments:

Betsy said...

"Like cold water to a weary soul,So is good news from a distant land."
Proverbs 25:25

Christine said...

Darlene...This is Christine Sarkis...I will be praying for your son...

Missy said...

Yay! Sweet little boy, I wish I could give him a hug. Can you see him compensating for the eyesight, is that how you knew? It's incredible how God designed the body to make up for deficits. SO glad his hearing was spared.

Darlene said...

Wow! Christine Sarkis? It's been maybe 30 years! How did you find out about us? Thank you so much for praying.

Darlene said...

I suspected the vision deficit because he would every now and then bump into something he should have seen over to his right. I guess this will be an issue for sports and driving (and girls making googly eyes at him when he's a teen.)

Anonymous said...

:-) I LOVE the way you think!
works for me...his father DID JUST FINE!

momma

Christine said...

Darlene: Do you remember me calling you about 18 years ago? The Lord had impressed me to call you back then and then a couple of days ago I was thinking about your Sister Christi and how she used to read so much...and then about 2 days later, I was on Debbie Thompson's Facebook and saw your sister had posted something on Debbies site so I sent your Sister a Message and she informed me of what you are going through and gave me your website...and that my friend is how I found you...God is so good...We must catch up with each other.

Darlene said...

That would be great! Send me an email sometime and give me your phone # so we can catch up.

Christine said...

Darlene: My email address is cbiblical@yahoo.com...What is your email address? When I get your email address I will send you my phone #...So nice to hear from you...By the way, do you have a Facebook account?

Corie said...

Praising God with you! So thankful that you have some good news to hold on to! Praying the cyst shrinks and you will not have to do ANY surgery. What a brave boy that sweet Nathan is! What a faithful family you are...walking with the Lord through this!

So great to see you the other day...you always have that amazing and calming smile. Sending hugs!