Saturday, May 2, 2009

Good Question

Nathan asked today why God hasn't done away with the devil yet. A question many intelligent adults ask. I told him that I didn't know, but that God is perfectly wise and has His purposes for everything He does. I said that if he tasted baking soda straight before I added it to cookie dough, he would wonder why I was letting such a foul tasting thing be in good cookie dough. Maybe there is a part of the Lord's character we wouldn't know about otherwise. We might never have known just how amazingly loving Jesus is if He didn't temporarily give up His throne or His life on account of sin. We talked about how we never would have known how brave Nathan was if not for his tumor, or how the tumor has caused Nathan to trust God more now than without it. It makes me happy that he asks questions like these, and it makes me think.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Sounds to me, Darlene, that you made the most of a God given opportunity to put Deuteronomy 6:7 into practice,
"You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up."

Missy said...

Wow, that was a great answer! Don't you love the questions they ask? I'm constantly amazed.